Match report: Millbrook RFC 1st XV v Ventnor RFC 1st XV 14 April 2018


Match report: Millbrook RFC 1st XV v Ventnor RFC 1st XV 14 April 2018


Millbrook 1st XV 64-46 Ventnor 1st XV

Reporter Adam Pratt

Ventnor travelled to Millbrook for their last league game of the 2017/2018 season. The side was confident going into game having had their first win of the season the previous weekend. The game started with Ventnor on the front foot when Sam Lines put Ventnor ahead with a penalty making it 3 nil to the visitors.

What came next can only be described and as a fantastic game of rugby played by both sides. Millbrook took the lead with 2 unanswered tries but then Ventnor answered back with a try of their own and this was how the game would continue until the final whistle. Ventnor used their set piece well with both scrums and lineouts working to their advantage, but every time Ventnor got close to their hosts Millbrook would score to widen the gap. The final score was 64-46 to Millbrook with tries for Ventnor from Paul Berry 2, Sam Lines 2, Lewis Jones, Andy Gough and Jake Babington. Sam lines converted 4 times.

It has been tough season for Ventnor on the field but never once did they let their heads go down or give up on each other and kept playing until the final whistle even when they had no chance of winning games. It shows the true character of a side on how they take defeat and learn from it. Hopefully the off season will serve them well and they come back next season with the same attitude and determination they have showed this season. The future is bright the future is blue and white.

AJ Wells & Sons Man of the Match: Lewis Jones

Ventnor Haven Fisher Cod Eye of the Day: Liam Roberts

Squad: Dawson, Jones, Pratt, Saville, Green, Clarke, Edwards, Pickard, Berry, Gough, Blake, Lines, Dobas, Blow, Urbonas, Babington, Riches, Roberts

Isle of Wight rugby photography by Andrew Cooper Photography from this game will appear in: the Ventnor RFC Magazine Summer 2018 edition 

Related links:

Millbrook RFC